Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 - 40 mins
1L of vegetable stock
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 white onion, finely diced
100g chorizo, cut into cubes
3 cloves garlic
200ml red wine
300g Arborio Rice
400g Tinned Tomatos
100g soft goat’s cheese (click here if you want to make your own)
100g Parmesan, finely grated
Small bunch of basil, finely chopped, with 12 whole leaves remaining for garnish
Salt and pepper
1. Put the stock in a large pot and place over a medium heat. Once it starts to boil, reduce the temperature to a low simmer.
2. Meanwhile, add the olive oil to a large heavy base pan and fry the finely diced onion and chorizo over a low heat. Cook for about 5 minutes until the chorizo starts to crisp up and the onion softens. Add the garlic, cook for a further 2 minutes. If anything starts to stick or brown, add a splash of wine and keep stirring.
3. Add the rice and stir well until the rice is coated in the oil.
4. Add the wine to the pan and continue to stir as the liquid evaporates.
5. Once the wine is evaporated, add 1 cup of stock and allow the liquid to evaporate, stirring occasionally. Add half the tomatoes and cook until the liquid has evaporated.
6. Add another cup of stock and allow to evaporate. Add the other half of the tomatoes, cooking out the liquid. Keep adding the stock, 1 cup at a time, until the rice is al dente.
7. Once the risotto is al dente, add the parmesan cheese and basil and stir through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve risotto into a bowl and crumble the goats cheese over the top. Top with basil leaves and enjoy.